Settled and safe: a renter’s right
In the last year more than 80,000 people came to us suffering a problem with a privately rented home. That's 230 people every day, hit by issues from illegal eviction to harassment to lost deposits and struggles to secure the most basic repairs.
Join us in demanding a safe and settled future for millions of renters.
We are campaigning for better protections for private renters. We believe that:
1. No renter should ever have to pay excessive and inexplicable fees for the basic services a letting agent provides. We want to see an end to extortionate fees levied on renters by letting agents.
2. No renter should be at the mercy of rogue landlords who consistently break the rules, taking deposits unlawfully, harassing tenants or renting substandard homes. We want to see all local authorities in England set up a register of landlords that tackles the specific problems in their area.
3. No renter should ever be left out of pocket after renting a home which proves to be dangerous or uninhabitable. We want tenants to be entitled to rent refunds where the property they're living in is dangerous or not fit to live in.
4. No renter should be evicted simply for complaining about bad conditions. We want to see an end to retaliatory evictions.
5. No renter should ever lose their home at a moment's notice. We want all tenants to get reasonable notice before having to move out, even when caught up in a landlord's eviction.
Share your private renting story
Complain about bad letting agencies
Email us; firstname.lastname@example.org or
Write to us: Harlow Citizens Advice Bureau, 13-15 East gate, The High, Harlow, Essex. CM20 1HP.